Sunday, January 11, 2015

Aging in America

You'll understand if I use the term mixed bag.

If you are my age group you are bombarded with sports drinks, gyms, equipment, apparel, gizmos that track every step and calorie, and are presented with the new next idea in keeping yourself fit.

Zumba, Yoga, dance, weights, Cross Fit, P90, swimming, water aerobics, cardio, with or without impact, ballet exercises, Tai Chi, etc.,.  This list grows with each new gee whiz idea.  The next one might be the one-the one you can't resist, the one that will get you out the door or out of bed before sunrise to take charge of your health.

*sigh*

The truth is I am tired in the morning.  I style my previous night to selecting tomorrow's clothes, loading them in the bathroom.  I've shopped with the eye towards what will be for breakfast and what I will pack for lunch.  I have between 20 and 30 minutes drive to work, sometimes in a fury of stomping on brakes and keeping track of what every other driver on those 3 lanes and side street thinks they are doing.

Once at work, I will be there, in the present, focusing my attention from 8 till 5.  Then its back in the car for the return trip.  Being thrifty on gas, I do my stops on the way to hit the grocery store.  Dinner, if immediate, now brings me to about 6:30 to 7 p.m.

With the looming idea of bed on time and enough sleep to keep functioning, I don't have much time to convince myself that I really want to start leap hopping around for exercise.

Thinking of New Years and everyone promising "this will be the year I ...."  I decided on two more important focuses.  Sleep and portion sizes.


No comments:

Post a Comment