Sunday, January 25, 2015

Into the Fire

I  had to switch careers, if that is what we call what we do.  In my case it has been more of a case of what ever opening I could fit in and thrive with.  When I made the decision to give up where I was living and move to be closer to family, I also had to leave the work I was doing.

There was more than just relocation, it was a job I did after leaning it on the job.  That doesn't translate well on resume's.  Nor was it something that I could picture myself doing for another five years or more.  I wanted something else.

So how do you qualify for something else?  Even after finding courses at a local community college, there was still the gap in experience.  I happened to read an on line article that suggested volunteer work, and that is how I got my present job.

It's hard to be underemployed and put yourself into the position of working 'for free' for someone when those hours might have brought in more money through a second job.  But I took the chance that I needed solid and recent experience to be able to put on a resume more than I did a second income.

I went on line and checked a couple of hospitals (records departments) and cities for volunteer programs.  They do exist, especially cities that are trimming off the work force in hopes that technology can help keep things rolling under budget stresses.

I can tell you that technology can't.

Luckily the city I volunteered for had a position come open.  Everyone moved up a chair and left one open for a candidate.  Although I am sure I interviewed along with many people who wold have had better credentials, there were now two important ones in my favor.

I knew the data input and I was a known performer.  I was on time and dressed appropriately.  If they needed me to stop and help label, fold letters and stuff envelopes for a mass mailing, I did so and went right back to the stacks of work orders.  I came in twice a week for four hours, missing two mornings due to weather and one day ill.  I started in June and made it into January when I told them I was being forced to give it up, because with cut backs to my night work, I needed to submit applications and look for a second line of work.

It just so happened, one of the ladies decided to retire.  Bless her, she now has the time to devote to her ailing mother and enjoy her own life, while I know make enough money to get out on my own and have benefits to boot.

Sometimes preparedness is everything and sometimes you have to take your future on faith.  I am a staunch believer in the term, "Leap and the bridge will appear."  I can't say it wasn't scary.  But my sacrifice paid off.


No comments:

Post a Comment